Police discretion can lead to multiple moral dilemmas for police officers and police organizations. Chapter 2 in your text and the Cops and Ethics (Links to an external site.) video explore ethical situations often faced by police officers (Barber, 2010). For this discussion, develop at least three guidelines for police agencies to use in creating a police discretion policy. Detail the potential negative consequences of such a policy. Your discussion should include specific examples to support your policies.
Guided Response: As you choose your guidelines, focus on the difficulty of writing policy for all situations. Routinely, inside and outside of the field of criminal justices, organizations and corporations are routinely updated and revised. The need for revisions is often due in large part to the realization that no policy can cover all contingencies. Does drafting your own policy provide you with an appreciation of the difficulties for creating universal, ethical policies?
Banks, C. (2016). Criminal justice ethics: Theory and practice (4th ed.). Retrieved from https://content.ashford.edu
Chapter 2: Police Ethics: The Nature of Policing and Police Corruption
Chapter 6: The Purpose of Criminal Punishment
Chapter 8: Ethics in Correction: Guarding Ethically
Barber, R. (Writer & Producer). (2010). Cops and ethics (Links to an external site.) [Series episode]. In R. Barber (Executive producer), In the Line of Duty, Volume 13. Retrieved from the https://secure.films.com/OnDemandEmbed.aspx?token=52652&aid=18596&loid=187589&plt=FOD&w=420&h=315&fWidth=440&fHeight=365
The full-length version of this video is available in the Films On Demand database located in the University of Arizona Global Campus Library. This video explores the ethical situations faced by real police officers. It will assist you in responding to this weeks discussion, Ethics and the Police.
- Identify and define relevant concepts clearly for the viewers. (Define capital and your groups specific variety, if it has one.)
- What is the difference between a cross-sectional study and a longitudinal study? What advantages and disadvantages does each method have?
- What are the implications for both employees/subcontractors and the HR function?
- Discuss the key events that have contributed to the evolution of operations management. Please be sure to include specific events, time (year) and who was involved (the individual’s name or company). Please provide at least three (3) factors and the events.
- Research and describe a patient story that was caused by that sentinel event topic. For example, if the sentinel event alert is about Fires in the Operating rooms, then you must research and find a story about a patient impacted by a fire in the OR.
- * Why is the problem important in the area of corporate crime or regulation of corporate crime?
- Discussion Thread: Price
- Literature Review : Identity Development in 8th graders
- Select a publicly-traded company that is traded on U.S. exchange. Locate the annual report for at least the last three fiscal years.
- summarize the key points of each chapter, and show how those points are related to each other. In the final paragraph, please explain your own thoughts and interpretations of the material.