Chapter 8 in your text explores the ethical dilemmas faced by prison officials within the U.S. corrections system. For this discussion, evaluate the ethical issues involved with modern trend of privatizing correctional institutions. What are the moral pitfalls of removing correctional facilities from the public sector (and therefore public review) and placing large segments of society into private correctional facilities? Examine both practical considerations and societal moral views in your discussion.
Guided Response: Most people involved with the criminal justice system are instinctively suspicious of the privatization of prisons in the United States. Is this distrust warranted? In your examination of the morality of prison privatization, make sure to include analyses concerning accountability, integrity of processes, and the inherent potential conflict of interest for the incentive of private companies to make a profit.
Banks, C. (2016). Criminal justice ethics: Theory and practice (4th ed.). Retrieved from https://content.ashford.edu
Chapter 2: Police Ethics: The Nature of Policing and Police Corruption
Chapter 6: The Purpose of Criminal Punishment
Chapter 8: Ethics in Correction: Guarding Ethically
Barber, R. (Writer & Producer). (2010). Cops and ethics (Links to an external site.) [Series episode]. In R. Barber (Executive producer), In the Line of Duty, Volume 13. Retrieved from the https://secure.films.com/OnDemandEmbed.aspx?token=52652&aid=18596&loid=187589&plt=FOD&w=420&h=315&fWidth=440&fHeight=365
The full-length version of this video is available in the Films On Demand database located in the University of Arizona Global Campus Library. This video explores the ethical situations faced by real police officers. It will assist you in responding to this weeks discussion, Ethics and the Police.
- Select an article from a web site, book, newspaper, magazine, or journal. Imagine that you are delivering an evaluation to the author.
- The methodology section is one of the core components of the grant. This section is concerned with addressing the question: How will you carry out the project?
- CT5 class 1 – Option #1: Income Statement and Balance Sheet Presentation
- CT 3 – Class 1 – Breakeven Executive Summary
- Deaths due to opioid/heroin overdoses have increased dramatically over the last decade.
- case study 7
- Final Paper on “Seven Myths of Native American History
- Review the information at the American Red Cross web site regarding Blood and Blood Needs at http://www.redcrossblood.org/learn-about-blood/blood-facts-and-statistics. Post your comments about the information on this page that was new to you or surprised you. Post your thoughts of about 300 words by Friday. Respond to at least two classmates posts by Sunday. Remember to include your in-text citations and references – properly formatted!
- C.S. Lewis’ novel The Great Divorce.
- Describe an existing organization with which you have had personal experience and its objective(s).