Performance management is, ideally, an ongoing quality-assurance-based process to provide an organization, its employees, regulatory agencies, accreditors, and other stakeholders with a structured means to support and accomplish mutually identified strategic goals and objectives.
Assume the role of a newly-hired risk management officer for a hypothetical new allied health organization in your chosen career field. You and your team will need to develop the organization’s policies.
The first item you will create will be a performance management plan. Using the resources in HIM Briefings or other qualified framework, craft a proposal (1,250-1,500 words) for a performance management plan for the new organization that includes the following:
– Organizational Goals: Provide a statement of the organization’s goals in terms of workplace safety, risk management, or quality improvement. Select one area, and develop five goals for that one area.
– Outline of Organizational Objectives: Outline and provide a brief evaluation of specific objectives that support the organizational goals you previously identified to include the use of a interdisciplinary approach to patient care.
-Rationale: Evaluate the use of the interdisciplinary approach to patient care in the performance management plan. When provisions were planned in order to include this approach effectively.
– Quality and Process Outcomes: Describe the importance of quality and process outcomes within one’s scope of practice.
– Summary of Relevant Performance Measures: Summarize the steps and measures the new organization will adopt to measure performance. Consider (a) how well measures will align with the stated goals, (b) how these measures demonstrate the importance of quality, and the relationship to positive health outcomes, (c) how the measures are able to be controlled by the organization (i.e., how the organization can effect change in this area), and (d) how the measures meet criteria related to reliability and validity, and which are standardized.
– Performance Baseline: Determine a performance baseline for the measures selected. This will enable the organization to conduct comparisons of desired goals versus actual results over time.
– Performance Evaluation: Select one of three commonly accepted methods to measure provider quality and summarize the features and why it applies best to the organization. Refer to the assigned reading, “The Measurement of Health Care Performance: A Primer from the Council of Medical Specialty Societies.”
-Definition of Success: Define what success means to the organization. Now that you have chosen measures to assess organizational performance, identify what success means to the organization; otherwise, you are chasing a moving target. Be explicit in the level of performance you see as acceptable. This will change as an organization grows, but you need to start somewhere in order to get anywhere.
Provide a minimum of three qualified resources from the readings, qualified websites, or the GCU Library in order to complete this assignment successfully.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This is all extra information to help write the essay not necessarily part of the paper. Just part of discussion question which was based on the assignment. I chose Public Health Department. Background on what I wrote for my discussion question:
Question – The assignment in this topic required you to develop a performance management plan for a hypothetical new allied care organization in your field. What regulatory standards will apply to the organization? What accreditation standards? How will these regulations affect the development of your plan, and what measures will you take to ensure the organization is in compliance?
My response –
When a public health department the organization that provides accreditation to public health departments is the Public Health Accreditation Board (PHB). This program is voluntary but the PHB can accredit local, state, territorial and tribal departments. The PHB accreditation structure, domains and standards is based off of the 10 Essential Public Health Services (Carman & Timsina, 2015). The PHB standards are also base upon the guidance from the CDC as well as the National Public Health Performance Standards (NPHPS) and the companion Environmental Public Health Performance Standards (EnvPHPS) (Blake, et al., 2011).
Although this accreditation is completely voluntary, it is essential in developing a public health department that falls within guidelines and standards that have been set by the CDC, NPHPS and EPHPS. Considering the fact that we are in the midst of a pandemic, the services that are provided by public health departments are paramount to health of the communities around the nation. Public Health departments are playing a significant role in the pandemic process. All departments, to include a new one should want to meet the required standards to the highest degree.
Blake, R., Corso, L., & Bender, K. (2011). DIRECT FROM CDC ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH SERVICES BRANCH : Public Health Department Accreditation and Environmental Public Health: A Logical Collaboration. Journal of Environmental Health, 74(3), 28–31.
Carman, A. L., & Timsina, L. (2015). Public Health Accreditation: Rubber Stamp or Roadmap for Improvement. American Journal of Publcixic Health, 105(S2), S353–S359. https://doi-org.lopes.idm.oclc.org/10.2105/AJPH.2015.302568
- Explain how strategic planning can provide a sense of direction and help in the development of measurable goals.
- What do you think about Native American civilization before European Contact?
- Write an essay answering: how would you describe life for the Native Americans before the arrival of the Europeans?
- Identify how the selected tools (individually) are of value and a challenge in the health care industry, inclusive of public health where applicable.
- Describe the four metaparadigms: patient, nurse, health and environment.
- Define a nursing practice area where you could apply Neuman Systems Model.
- What is the main claim of Gladwell’s Essay?
- Discuss two (2) patient education considerations related to the priority concept (topic).
- Describe the importance of the priority concept (topic) to professional practice.
- Discuss at least one (1) strategy in prevention of legal consequences related to the priority concept (topic) in professional practice.