Please provide a brief response. It is meant to add to the conversation. thank you.
Were they the same?
I can imagine that the angle from a management perspective would be different from my own because I personally have not been in a management position. I have served as a mentor to newer employees, but I have not had a management title. Again, I feel that sticking with the status quo for me would be just to continue doing my job to the best of my ability without union involvement. A goal of a union is to instill trust between the union and its members (Ball, 2006). As a manager, this building a positive relationship with employees and building trust is extremely important. This is something that both managers and unions strive to do.
What challenges did you discover?
After reflecting upon collective bargaining and pondering whether this would be something that I would be in favor of or not, it is a difficult question to answer. I can see the positive and negative impacts that it may have. Because I have not become a member of a union in my years of teaching and in my current position, I feel that I would prefer not to be part of a union. I would of course need to do more research into what a union would look like at the university that I am currently working at. I would also like to hear from other individuals that have joined unions in education. I would love to hear their perspective. I also feel that some of the information that unions address could be addressed in the human resource department.
How did your viewpoints differ from those of classmates?
I would say that some of my viewpoints aligned with my classmates. However, there were a few that pointed out the benefit of unions that I did not highlight. I do agree that ensuring retirement benefits are guaranteed and health insurance is accessible would be a positive impact. However, in my position now, I am contributing to a 401K program, I have access to health insurance that I pay for monthly, so I am having a hard time seeing if there would be a large advantage to being part of a union.
In what direction do you think the collective bargaining approach is moving from the standpoint of the profession in which you work? What makes you think that?
Unions can provide desired outcomes that could not be achieved by one individual (Sell et al., 2006). This brings me back to the fact that in most cases having power in numbers can be an advantage. Having individuals that can come together to work towards a common goal will have more power than just one person. Through a collective effort, a union is able to make an impact on working conditions (Sell et al., 2006). I think that it will depend on whether the school is a public school or a private school. From what I have observed, it is more common to see teachers joining unions in public schools as opposed to private schools. When I was working in a charter school a couple of years ago, the opportunity to join a union was never presented to me. None of the colleagues that I worked directly with shared that they were members of a union. Of course, it is their private business and they could be members but just chose not to share with me. But from my knowledge, the three teachers I worked with on a daily basis were not members of a union.
- How would you solve the moral dilemma of Janet Moore? Try to put yourself in her place. What would you decide and why? Explain the reasons for your decision carefully.
- Project purpose idea: neighborhood community board assessing the risks involved if Con Edison continues with a (specific) project. Transition Risk being the focus- economic losses from a business changing policies and production to more energy efficient methods
- Animal parts used in Fashion industry or Fashion buisness and affecting animal welfare and ethics
- Analysis of W T. Stead’s The Maiden Tribute
- Write a description or details about these two alternatives of action including their pros and cons with details and explanations.
- Animal parts/ products used in the fashion industry
- To what extent can the policy process be described as evidence-based, in your chosen policy area? In what circumstances has research been utilised by decision-makers, and why?
- MBA – INNOVATION, ENTERPRENEURSHIP & TECHNOLOGY TRANSFER
- Substance Abuse Assessment and Treatment Planning Week 14 – Final Exam – Part I & Part II
- Discussion Board Response