The purpose of this assignment is to showcase what you have learned as it pertains to the field of special education in the course; specifically in the areas of 1) history and laws, 2) policies, processes and procedures, and 3) your personal philosophy in a comprehensive, professional and organized manner. You will use Google Sites Links to an external site.or a tool/platform of your choice to create your ePortfolio. This is an actual working website that you can enable for others to view and can serve as documentation of your learning and self reflection, referenced for later use and added to over the course of your program, and/or serve as a potential training guide for stakeholders interested to learn more about special education and your philosophy.
Your portfolio will need to contain the following elements and completed in 3 parts. Complete part 3 as an add on to parts 1 and 2.
Part 1: History and Laws (2 pages)
Create a timeline of significant events/court cases (minimum of 5) leading to changes in legislation, policies and/or practices in schools for students with special needs. In 3-5 paragraphs, summarize the key parts/elements of IDEA, ADA, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and ESSA. Provide a rationale for how these laws have promoted positive outcomes for students with special needs. You may reference findings from the Scavenger Hunt, Venn Diagram and Case Briefing weekly activities as you complete this task.
Part 2: Policies, processes and procedures (2 pages)
As a special educator, explain your role in: 1) identification and evaluation process, 2) implementation of IEPs and 3) working with families. Include 3-5 details in each area on specific processes and/or procedures to be followed.
Part 3: Personal philosophy (2 pages)
Create your philosophy of necessary qualities of a special education teacher using an equity and inclusion lens. Reference 3 ethical standards in your response. Develop 3 statements of commitment as to the types of professional development and/or learning experiences you hope to engage in over the next year.
The ePortfolio should address the material using college level writing, critical thought and APA formatting for sources. Be sure to include a title/introduction page, cite sources as appropriate and include a references page for full citations. In addition, you are encouraged to be creative by including graphics, visuals and/or media. Content should be designed to clearly and concisely address the material accurately and with research justification.
- Discuss about an issue concerning a current social issue or modern technology and write an essay in which you take a position on that issue.
- Identify the three essential elements to management, maintaining a balance between the current culture, and improving relationships to minimize resistance to change.
- Explain how the Act of God doctrine, can be used to eliminate liability in contracts for failure to perform.
- What experiences have you had working with children with psychological difficulties?
- Identify measures to assist the individual to achieve the tasks of his/her stage of development.
- Discuss and analyse the Trifler letters to the serialized articles on natural philosophy and history.
- Do you agree with the concept that individuals self-medicate in relation to stress, coping, and substance-related and addictive disorders?
- Discuss nation-states in the world today, and different types of political institutions are spread among them.
- Summarize, analyze, and discuss some of the key aspects of that Compliance Program Manual, and how some of those key aspects relate to promoting product safety and efficacy.
- Explain how to reduce the use of excessive police force that especially targets communities of color in the United States.