After you’ve gotten my approval for your book choice, study carefully the “Terms and Conditions” (Criteria) for winning the Caldecott Medal here: http://bit.ly/1yb8KF0 (Links to an external site.).
Write an essay of 500-750 words in which you discuss a Caldecott winning picture book mainly in terms of its artistic elements. You don’t need to be an expert on art to discuss it!
Your essay must include the following:
An introduction in which you include
the full title of the book (in italics),
the full name(s) of the author and illustrator if they are different
the year the book won the Caldecott Medal
a brief summary of the book’s story, including the genre it fits into
a brief biography of the illustrator, including artistic training, if any
In the body of the essay, a discussion of the artistic elements of the book. Use the document attached in Module 6 called “Art of Children’s Literature to figure out how to describe the artistic elements.
The link below is a nice example of the type of essay I’m looking for:
https://gabidunn.wordpress.com/2012/08/11/visual-elements-in-childrens-literature/ (Links to an external site.)
You should try to include photos of a few of the book’s pictures IF YOU KNOW HOW. It’s not required, but it is very helpful (I don’t know all the books chosen, so I’ll need a reference to see what you’re discussing. Amazon often has a few pages available for viewing, or you can use your smartphone to take a photo of the 2-3 pages you want to refer to, in paste them into your document.
A conclusion in which you discuss how the illustrations reflect the story. To use a silly example, a frightening book probably won’t be illustrated with hearts and flowers, but how has the artist built the right mood for the story?
A Works Cited page in MLA format that includes:
the book itself
the pdf document “Art of Children’s Literature”
any other outside work you refer to.
Note: your introduction may be more than a paragraph long, and the body of the essay may be more than three paragraphs. Don’t get trapped by the five-paragraph essay structucixre (and it is a trap!).
- analyze how the characters Meshulam, Asa Heshel, Abram, Rosa Frumetl, Adele, and Hadassah each grapple with the theme of the pull of secularism and modernity vs. the adherence to strict religiosity and tradition. supported by evidence.
- Explain the occupation’s function and importance to the criminal justice system. Select an agency that utilizes the occupation and explore the job requirements and duties.
- Major Social Issues Plaguing the African American Community
- The Theatre of Ritual
- Using current demographic data to make predictions about political behavior, analyze how to advise any racial/ethnic subgroup examined in this course on how to effectively participate in politics at the national, state, county, or local levels.
- Discuss what you would consider when writing a cybersecurity policy for a toy building block business with a multi-billion-dollar annual profit. Describe your business. Give your business a creative name.
- Review the agenda priorities of the current/sitting U.S. president and at least one previous presidential administration.
- Explain the economic conditions of the country and how this affects retirement according to the article.
- Annotated Bibliography (Real Estate career)
- Read chaps 4-7 in Douglass and answer the short questions