Clark Barwick writes in his article, A History of Passing, that each successive generation [of readers] has actively and even literally projected its own needs, desires, and anxieties on the novel, such that the record of publication and reading provides us with critical insight not just into the shifting interpretation of an important novel but also into how America has understoodand continues to understand, and will continue to understandrace, gender, sexuality, and ultimately, those who do not easily fit into its prescriptive categories (2425).
Write a 3- to 5-page paper about the changing reception of Passing based on your reading of Barwicks article. Your essay should include a brief summary (two paragraphs or less) of Barwicks article but should devote most of its length to a discussion of two main questions:
Is any one moment of the novels reputation more valid or authentic than the others?
Is there a past moment of the novels reputation that todays readers (including yourself) would be most likely to connect with?
When answering each question, make sure to develop your reasoning clearly and with explicit reference to both Larsens text and Barwicks article.
- Compare and contrast the difference between laptops and desktop computers.
- Describe the most challenging obstacle you have had to overcome or a risk that you have taken and explain its impact (positive or negative) on you and what you have learned from the experience.
- Explain the difference between the common misconception of the term negative reinforcement and how the science of behavior analysis defines it.
- Write a review on why the legalization of marijuana in several states is forcing many police leaders to modify their views and practices regarding its use.
- Does doing homework actually help students learn more?
- Write a research paper on playground bullying and its effects on young children.
- Write a paper that are able to manage the risks presented when balancing individual rights and professional duty of care.
- What can you learn from this primary source about German attitudes towards violence and warfare, and/or the plight of the Nazis perceived enemies?
- Describe both the state and federal court system and explain the benefits of having a dual-court system in America?
- Describe demographic characteristics for your community or state in terms of demographic makeup, ethnicity, and illness and health status.