Criminal justice professionals are faced with ethical decisions every day, and the impact of these decisions can change a justice-served individuals life for years to come. In this summative assessment, you explore the ethical dilemmas that occur when children commit violent crimes, as well as the impacts on rehabilitation and reintegration into society. The Supreme Court has made a number of rulings in recent years regarding the sentencing of juveniles. Reference the following articles to familiarize yourself with the topic of juvenile sentencing:
Juvenile Life Without Parole: An Overview from the Sentencing Project
“Supreme Court Rules Against Juvenile Sentenced to Life Without Parole” from The Washington Post
Create a 15- to 18-slide Microsoft PowerPoint presentation to a federal- or state-level board about the ethical decision-making process as it applies to child offender cases that might appear in your system. Address the following in your presentation:
1. Analyze the complexity of the issues underlying the ethical dilemmas of juvenile sentencing.
2. Evaluate the rehabilitation and reintegration options that would be available in these situations.
3. the decision-making that needs to occur when evaluating institutional or community-based corrections and rehabilitation for child offenders.
4. Describe the information that must be considered during the decision-making process.
5. Evaluate the possible long-term outcomes of both sides of the decision.
6. Recommend how the federal- or state-level board should handle these types of cases in the future.
Include detailed speaker notes.
Cite at least 2 sources to support your assignment.
Format your assignment according to APA guidelines.
Submit your assignment.
Center for Writing Excellence
Reference and Citation Generator
- Compare and contrast the difference between laptops and desktop computers.
- Describe the most challenging obstacle you have had to overcome or a risk that you have taken and explain its impact (positive or negative) on you and what you have learned from the experience.
- Explain the difference between the common misconception of the term negative reinforcement and how the science of behavior analysis defines it.
- Write a review on why the legalization of marijuana in several states is forcing many police leaders to modify their views and practices regarding its use.
- Does doing homework actually help students learn more?
- Write a research paper on playground bullying and its effects on young children.
- Write a paper that are able to manage the risks presented when balancing individual rights and professional duty of care.
- What can you learn from this primary source about German attitudes towards violence and warfare, and/or the plight of the Nazis perceived enemies?
- Describe both the state and federal court system and explain the benefits of having a dual-court system in America?
- Describe demographic characteristics for your community or state in terms of demographic makeup, ethnicity, and illness and health status.