Americans are very proud of their free speech rights but few know that America has the most expansive free speech right in the world. The right to free speech in America includes the right to hate speech, the right to spend as much money as you want on politics (Citizens United, ch. 5), the right to burn the American flag and the right to create pornographic and obscene content. Recently, Nick Kristof in The New York Times exposed the web site Pornhub for distributing videos of trafficked women, of women being suffocated and asphyxiated, of underage girls having sex, and of women who were coerced into having sex via entrapment (i.e., they were raped). We are also the only developed country where completely baseless hate speech is allowed to be distributed. Research the extremes of free speech that are allowed in the U.S. and write 5-6 paragraphs on whether you think the right to free speech in America goes too far. Make sure to employ the cases in Chapter 9.
- How is Anthropology Applied In The Field of Medicine
- “Although child sexual abuse is far from new, public attention and response to child sexual abuse has crimes has fluctuated in the United States. Explain this evolution, using examples from history to support your answer.”
- The relationship between karma and rebirth
- Transcendental Meditation – Eastern versus Western Techniques
- Health Promotion Plan
- Select one of the following foreign countries: China, Germany, Japan, Mexico or the United Kingdom, and provide a country profile discussing the topics outlined below.
- How do these features work together to affect the outputs? In other words, if you were to change a process or an input, how would it change the output (if at all)?
- Community Resources
- Conduct a brief case study analysis of an example of plagiarism and/or intellectual property theft from the Internet (a different example from the three identified for the discussion assignment).
- Consider the numerous scientifically supported strategies for intervening on prejudice and discrimination from the Reducing Discrimination reading. Share your reflections on what methods you think might work to combat this form of stereotyping, prejudice, or discrimination.