Week 5 Discussion: Cultural Humility Journal #2
No unread replies.No replies.
Reflect on and respond to course content. Incorporate faith integration on how healthcare is provided to those who are or are considered to be marginalized, vulnerable, the other, in our society. Reflect on their own values, perspectives, and experiences, as they relate to their ability to be a culturally competent healthcare provider.
Assignment Requirements and Instructions
Guidelines for journaling are based on the article, Chang, E. & Simon, M., Dong, X. (2012). Integrating cultural humility into health care professional education and training. Advances in Health Science Education, 17, 269-78.
Focus of the 1-2-page double-spaced journals on the Journal topics listed below.
Incorporate readings when possible, include citations.
Any of the experiences that you have during the course may be utilized, as well as other opportunities that you may have outside of class.
All journals must conform to the standard academic format, APA style, and be free of spelling, grammatical, and typographical errors.
Journal topics for Cultural Humility Journal #1 and #2 may be on any topic covered within the course via readings or videos. Specific demographics are covered during the weeks that each Cultural Humility Journal is due, which can serve as a topic to journal on.
Self-reflection & self-critique How do I influence my interactions with my patients. What are my assumptions and past experiences that are the underpinnings of how I relate to others? How does my faith influence the outcome?
Learn from patients Reflect on a recent patient interaction in which you intentionally listened to your patient. What did you learn about this person? What narratives did you listen to, and what did you learn about their faith and beliefs, and how they want to be treated?
Life-long learning How do you anticipate your development of your cultural competence continuing as you move forward in your career. What in this course did you find most useful? Least helpful? Most eye-opening? As you move into leadership roles what will you take with you? Explore ways that healthcare providers and communities can build partnerships for health advocacy for the patients you will be caring, within the communities in which you will serve.
- Describe the strategic approach of the United States to terrorism in Africa and explain the threat to the United States from terrorists recruited by Al Shabaab.
- What are the potential consequences for ignoring emergent strategies?
- If you have celiac disease or know of someone who does, how does going gluten-free affect their lives?
- What do Edward Belamy and Henry George have to say about the possibility of changing industrialized societies without revolution?
- What did Kipling say in the poem, The White Mans Burden?
- Discuss how the field of Speech Language Pathology can be incorporated within Academic success (written oral communication of literacy across the curriculum) and Cultural diversity (Bilingualism English language learners).
- Are there differences between these terms, or are they synonymous?
- What is the difference between real or physical evidence and testimonial evidence?
- Write an essay that identifies–and presents a reasonable, well-developed solution for–some type of problem related to technology.
- What aspect of family psychology interests you?