Week 3 Assignment – The Courts Function & Role
The purpose of this assignment is to use the knowledge you have gained in the first three weeks of this course and apply it by explaining the function of the Courts in the US and the court systems role in government, law, and society.
Complete the Week 3 Assignment Template to address the following:
The three branches of government are sometimes described as a three-legged stool that stabilizes the government. Explain what is meant by that statement and what would happen if one leg of the stool were not functioning, using specific details or examples.
Discuss why judicial review is important, using specific details or examples.
Provide an example of a Supreme Court decision that affects our society today and explain its impact using specific details, and cite your source(s).
Provide an example of a Federal Court decision that impacts individual states and explain its impact using specific details, and cite your source(s).
Because no two state constitutions or legislative bodies are alike, it is not surprising that the jurisdictions of State Courts vary from one state to another. Discuss the impact this has on society in states where crimes are not processed equally, using specific details or examples, and cite your source(s).
Sources and Formatting
Use at least two sources to support your writing. Your textbook may be used as one reference source and can be used more than once in your responses. Cite each reference in-text citations and include your resources on the Sources page.
For help with research, writing, and citation, access the Library or review the SOC205 Library Guide.
This course requires the use of Strayer Writing Standards. For assistance and information, please refer to the Strayer Writing Standards link in the left-hand menu of your course.
Course Learning Outcomes and Skills
The specific course learning outcome associated with this assignment is:
Explain the function of the American court system in its operational role within the government, the rule of law, and society.
In this assignment, you will practice the following skills:
Problem Solving: The ability to identify and frame problems, explore ideas, and create effective, ethical, and evidence-based solutions.
Agility: Theability to grow, effectively adapt, and recover in a continually changing environment to achieve desired results.
Initiative: The ability to recognize what needs tobe doneand to take action without being prompted in order to improve a circumstance or create a new one.
Self and Social Awareness: The ability to recognize thoughts, emotions, intentions, and bias of oneself and others and use that information to identify impacts on others, receive feedback, reflect, and guide ones growth and development.
- Literary Analysis-The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time-Course Project Novel
- What are the health promotion strategies available to support parents and students to take up the Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) vaccine and what is the impact on the uptake of the vaccine?
- Discuss your devotion to your fitness plan. Do you think it is a plan you can do for a lifetime?
- Government Essay
- How appropriate and clear is the title of the article?
- English Paper on Understanding learning styles and how that relates to college students
- Select a text, author, or important concept that we have discussed in Pride and Prejudice; locate at least one scholarly, peer-reviewed article or book chapter, written since 2013. Analyze the authors main claims, the kinds of evidence they use to support those claims, how this article shapes your reading of the course text(s), and how it engages with other research and readings you have done to date.
- Complete a research paper that focuses on the district you attended in high school. Revisit your philosophy of teaching statement. The purpose of this assignment is to demonstrate understandings of the social, political, and economic forces that impact teaching and learning by focusing on the specific district that you attended high school. The paper should be 7-8 pages, double-spaced, Times New Roman, 12 pt font, 1-inch margins.
- Spatial correlation and drivers of industrial pollution discharge in Africa
- Analyze the short story and then come up with an argumentative thesis statement of 1-2 sentences.