Please read the case, Ethics of Product Sourcing and Levels of Formaldehyde at Lumber Liquidators. If you were a consultant, what would you recommend to Thomas Sullivan? Make your recommendation using the basic model of ethical decision making (in the Ethical Decision Making Handout. Also included below). Write a summary (3 pages) of your analysis including facts, ethical and legal issues, stakeholders, possible alternatives, decisions (using moral philosophies or Daniels Principles), and short-term and long-term actions.
As I mentioned last week, after your make the decision and start to implement it, you should consider the techniques of “Giving Voice to Values (GVV).” GVV asks the question, “How can you implement it effectively?” or “How would you communicate the decision based on your values to others when you may face a push back?”
Watch the short video at the following link to learn about GVV.
Introduction to Giving Voice to Values with Mary Gentile, Ph.D.Links to an external site.
Introduction to Giving Voice to Values with Mary Gentile, Ph.D.
Basic Model of Ethical Decision Making
Determine the facts
Make sure that they really are facts. Read the case carefully. Do not assume everything in the case is a fact, especially when you see words such as allegedly, claim, supposedly, or rumor.
Identify the ethical issues involved.
See all ethical issues involved
Know what the real issue is
Make no assumptions
Identify stakeholders and consider the situation from their point of view
Be sensitive to the different needs and perspectives of all stakeholders
Consider the available and possible alternatives
You dont necessarily present options depending on the case, but it shows you have considered all options
Be creative in coming up with possible solutions
Consider how a decision affects stakeholders, comparing and weighing the alternatives, based on:
Duties, rights, principles
Implications for personal integrity and character
Daniels Principles (https://www.danielsfund.org/images/Files/Daniels_Fund_Ethics_Initiative_Principles.pdf Links to an external site.)
Present your decision
Consider short-term and long-term plan to make our decision possible
Be creative, especially in developing long-term solutions
Be prepared to justify your recommendations
You can do this assignment individually or with a partner. If you work with a partner, only one person should submit the assignment, but please make sure that both of your names are listed on the paper.
Lumber Liquidators Case .pdf
- Navigating PFAS Contamination in Illinois Research
- The Power of Motivation Theories in the Workplace Essay
- Advancing APRN Practice in California Essay
- Addressing Co-Occurring Disorders and Developing a Gender-Specific Program for Women Essay
- Mastering Effective Communication: Applying Active Listening in the Digital Age Essay
- My Journey to the University of Florida Essay
- Systems Thinking Approach to Addressing the Tragedy of the Commons in Fisheries Management Research
- The Universe’s Secrets: The James Webb Space Telescope Research
- Celebrating Cultural Diversity: An Exploration of Traditional African Dance in NYC Essay
- Enhancing Kindergarten Science Education Outline