Case Study #1
Don Briggs, RN, is the case manager for a rehabilitation center that is part of a large hospital system that also owns a home health agency, a hospital, an outpatient surgery center, and a network of primary care clinics. The executives of the hospital system have committed to putting an electronic health record (EHR) system in place within the next 3 years. Their vision is to have a system in which patient information can be shared across all of the various units and facilities within the hospital system. Don has been asked to serve on the committee to begin the initial planning phase for the EHR, and he is very excited about this assignment and the potential for the EHR. Don experiences frustration on a daily basis when trying to find information for patients who are being admitted from other sites within the system or trying to coordinate the transfer of information for patients who are being discharged. He hopes the new EHR system will allow the patient’s entire record of health information and health care to be accessible from anywhere within the hospital system.
1. How will the EHR help Don and other nurses across the system be more efficient?
2.How will the EHR affect patients care?
3. What legal and administrative requirements must be considered in planning for the EHR?
4. Some institutions are reluctant to issue passwords to nursing students that would allow them to access the electronic health record (EHR), fearing that this could compromise its security. Is this a legitimate concern? Do you agree with this position? Why or why not?
5. Patient-centered care is defined as the ability to recognize the patient or designee as the source of control and full partner in providing compassionate and coordinated care based on respect for patients preferences, values, and needs. Discuss ways that a nurse can promote patient-centered care in the following health care settings:
Acute care (hospital)
Home health agency
- Strategies to Restore Academic Motivation and Well-Being Essay
- Reevaluating Supervised Release Violations Research
- Analyzing Military Tactics, Intelligence Assessment, and Long-term Consequences in the Afghanistan War Essay
- How Environmental Enrichment Sparks Neural Stem Cell Renewal in the Aging Brain Research
- Implementing Moral Development Theory in South African Inclusive Classrooms Essay
- Microsoft’s Role and Mitigation Strategies Essay
- Strategic Decision-Making in the Smartphone Industry Discussion
- Mastering the Art of Coffee Brewing Essay
- The Mysteries of Organic Compounds Research
- Optimizing Employee Motivation in the Aviation Industry Research