Case Study #1
Don Briggs, RN, is the case manager for a rehabilitation center that is part of a large hospital system that also owns a home health agency, a hospital, an outpatient surgery center, and a network of primary care clinics. The executives of the hospital system have committed to putting an electronic health record (EHR) system in place within the next 3 years. Their vision is to have a system in which patient information can be shared across all of the various units and facilities within the hospital system. Don has been asked to serve on the committee to begin the initial planning phase for the EHR, and he is very excited about this assignment and the potential for the EHR. Don experiences frustration on a daily basis when trying to find information for patients who are being admitted from other sites within the system or trying to coordinate the transfer of information for patients who are being discharged. He hopes the new EHR system will allow the patient’s entire record of health information and health care to be accessible from anywhere within the hospital system.
1. How will the EHR help Don and other nurses across the system be more efficient?
2.How will the EHR affect patients care?
3. What legal and administrative requirements must be considered in planning for the EHR?
4. Some institutions are reluctant to issue passwords to nursing students that would allow them to access the electronic health record (EHR), fearing that this could compromise its security. Is this a legitimate concern? Do you agree with this position? Why or why not?
5. Patient-centered care is defined as the ability to recognize the patient or designee as the source of control and full partner in providing compassionate and coordinated care based on respect for patients preferences, values, and needs. Discuss ways that a nurse can promote patient-centered care in the following health care settings:
Acute care (hospital)
Home health agency
- Discuss about an issue concerning a current social issue or modern technology and write an essay in which you take a position on that issue.
- Identify the three essential elements to management, maintaining a balance between the current culture, and improving relationships to minimize resistance to change.
- Explain how the Act of God doctrine, can be used to eliminate liability in contracts for failure to perform.
- What experiences have you had working with children with psychological difficulties?
- Identify measures to assist the individual to achieve the tasks of his/her stage of development.
- Discuss and analyse the Trifler letters to the serialized articles on natural philosophy and history.
- Do you agree with the concept that individuals self-medicate in relation to stress, coping, and substance-related and addictive disorders?
- Discuss nation-states in the world today, and different types of political institutions are spread among them.
- Summarize, analyze, and discuss some of the key aspects of that Compliance Program Manual, and how some of those key aspects relate to promoting product safety and efficacy.
- Explain how to reduce the use of excessive police force that especially targets communities of color in the United States.