The required textbook chapters and the An Extended Conception of Rationality and Moral Actions article discuss moralism and rational choice (Roh, 2003). For this discussion, explain the significance of criminal justice professionals accepting the importance of moral actions in their professions. Can the greater good be served by people merely doing what they are told is morally right, or must professionals actually accept and believe in the need for moral conduct in order to best serve the effective administration of criminal justice agencies? Provide at least of one example to support your conclusion.
Guided Response: Are laws and regulations intentionally ethical or written to produce moral actions? If not, does pragmatism and public protection lend itself to non-ethical philosophies or actions? Should criminal justice professionals adhere to a personal code or moral conduct, or should there be a formal code of conduct required for criminal justice professionals?
Banks, C. (2016). Criminal justice ethics: Theory and practice (4th ed.). Retrieved from https://content.ashford.edu
Chapter 12: Duty and Principle
Chapter 13: Considering the Consequences
Chapman, M. L., & Davis, F. V. (1978). Skills for ethical action: A process to judgment and action. Educational Leadership, 35(6), 457-461. Retrieved from http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership.aspx
The full-text version of this article is available in the EBSCOhost database located in the University of Arizona Global Campus Library. It will assist you in responding to this weeks discussion, Moral Actions: Motivations and Relevance.
Lykan, W. (2001). Morality. Retrieved from http://www.unc.edu/~ujanel/Morality.htm
This article discusses the moral theory for moral decisions. It will assist you in responding to this weeks discussion, Ethics Applied: Moral Actions.
Purdue Online Writing Lab. (n.d.). Logical fallacies. Retrieved from https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/general_writing/academic_writing/logic_in_argumentative_writing/fallacies.html
This site provides a listing and definitions of various logical fallacies. It will assist you in completing this weeks assignment, Logical Fallacies and Criminal Justice.
Roh, Y.-R. (2003). An extended conception of rationality and moral actions. Journal of Value Inquiry, 37(1), 35-49. doi:10.1023/a:1024033810944
The full-text version of this article is available in the ProQuest database located in the University of Arizona Global Campus Library. This article discusses moralism and rational choice. It will assist you in responding to this weeks discussion, Moral Actions: Motivations and Relevance.
Hicks, W. (2015). CRJ524 professional resources list. Retrieved from https://bridgepoint.equella.ecollege.com/curriculum/file/78ce1060-b8b0-4666-8a12-ecc460da8d1b/1/CRJ524_Professional Resources List.docx
This document provides additional resources in the form of articles, multimedia, and websites that may be helpful in the development of your learning in the field of criminal justice. This source may assist you in your weekly discussions.
- Discuss about an issue concerning a current social issue or modern technology and write an essay in which you take a position on that issue.
- Identify the three essential elements to management, maintaining a balance between the current culture, and improving relationships to minimize resistance to change.
- Explain how the Act of God doctrine, can be used to eliminate liability in contracts for failure to perform.
- What experiences have you had working with children with psychological difficulties?
- Identify measures to assist the individual to achieve the tasks of his/her stage of development.
- Discuss and analyse the Trifler letters to the serialized articles on natural philosophy and history.
- Do you agree with the concept that individuals self-medicate in relation to stress, coping, and substance-related and addictive disorders?
- Discuss nation-states in the world today, and different types of political institutions are spread among them.
- Summarize, analyze, and discuss some of the key aspects of that Compliance Program Manual, and how some of those key aspects relate to promoting product safety and efficacy.
- Explain how to reduce the use of excessive police force that especially targets communities of color in the United States.