Choose ONE of these prompts to respond to. Using support from our assigned readings, as well as at least TWO reputable outside sources (websites, articles, or books), please write a 4-6 page argumentative paper on one of these topics. You may also include personal anecdotes.
1. How does the media influence the way we view class? How are wealthy families portrayed and how is the homeless population portrayed in the news, in movies/TV shows, and in magazines and books? How is the working class portrayed? Give specific examples. Should the media change or is it our responsibility to be more cautious about the media we consume? How can either of these be accomplished?
2. Is there a connection between racism and poverty? How does race affect one’s ability to get hired? Have you experienced racial discrimination in your educational/career path? Is “affirmative action” an appropriate solution to this issue? Why or why not?
3. Throughout the articles that we’ve read, we’ve encountered a number of people in unfortunate financial situations. Think about the race and gender of these individuals. How does race and gender affect one’s chances of economic success? Which minority groups in society are more likely to be impoverished? What does “post-racial” mean and can America become truly post-racial? How can we break the metaphorical “glass ceiling” that is blocking success for women and minority groups?
4. What is the relationship between healthcare and economic status? How does socioeconomic class affect one’s ability to access quality healthcare? Does race or gender affect the quality of healthcare that one receives? What is your experience with healthcare in America? How does it compare to healthcare in your home country?
o A catchy and interesting title
o On the upper left corner of your paper, you should have your first and last name, the instructor name, the class title, and the date.
o Page numbers in the upper right corner with your last name (Ex: Smith 1, Smith 2, etc.)
o Proper MLA format (12 pt, Times New Roman, double-spaced, one inch margins)
o Two reputable outside sources (article, book, website, etc.)
o Works Cited page
o 4-6 pages
o Formal, academic language
o Introductory paragraph(s) with a hook, background information, and a clear and concise thesis statement
o The thesis should include a ‘preview’ or road map of how you plan on defending your thesis–usually at least 3 reasons why we should agree with you, which are then expanded upon in your body paragraphs
o Effective transitional sentences and phrases
o Topic sentences that support your thesis statement
o Concrete support from the reading(s) which link back to your thesis
o Concluding paragraph
1. From Social Class and the Hidden Curriculum of Work
2. City of Broken Dreams
3. Class in America
4. Framing Class, Vicarious Living, and Conspicuous Consumption
5. Two Ways A Woman Can Get Hurt: Advertising and Violence
- Explain how their gender roles compare and different from those in the US?
- Explain how each one can benefit your well-being and how they relate to each other.
- Discuss how the idea of naturalism or modernism is depicted in your authors work.
- Describe the key philosophies of the counseling profession: wellness, resilience, and prevention.
- Discuss about Global Healthcare Comparison Matrix and Narrative Statement.
- What different models of Aboriginal self-government have emerged in Canada, according to the Papillon article?
- Compare and contrast the fables ‘The Fox and the Raven’ and ‘The Dog in the Manger.’
- What are the potential downfalls and positive influences of the Netflix Way?
- Explain why their writings are unconventional for their time while also comparing them to todays society.
- Explain how you reached the answer or show your work if a mathematical calculation is needed, or both.