In this research paper, you will use integrative scholarship to analyze the representation of Persian-Americans in Firoozeh Dumas’ Funny in Farsi and Adree Dubus III’s House of Sand and Fog. The Integrative Scholarship SLO for this assignment is below:
3. Students will practice Integrative learning which is an understanding and a disposition that a student builds across the curriculum and co-curriculum, from making simple connections among ideas and experiences to synthesizing and transferring learning to new, complex situations within and beyond the campus. (GE 6 Integrative Scholarship – Unlinked Course) download Preview the document
Funny in Farsi and House of Sand and Fog are contemporary accounts of how Persian-Americans, specifically Iranian-Americans, migrated to the United States during a period of political upheaval and came to settle in California. While Dumas’ novel is a humorous account of how her extended family adapts to life in Southern California, Dubus’ novel is a tragic account of how an ex-Iranian military official eventually loses everything of value to him, including his house and his family.
In this research paper, you will need to demonstrate the following skills which appear on the Integrative Scholarship Rubric download for this assignment:
Connections to Experience
Connections to Discipline
Reflection and Self-Assessment
You need to do outside research for this paper, using the MSMU Library Databases, to understand the historical context of Iran and the United States at the end of the 20th century. This includes the United States’ involvement with Iran, the Iranian Hostage Crisis, and the role of immigration in the United States– both as it pertains to Iranians and how it affects the Americans in the novel. Major integrative themes, among others, include classism, racism, and sexism.
At least three credible articles from our Library Databases will need to be listed in your Works Cited Page. You should use them to help you develop your analysis, integrating connections to experience and the discipline, the transfer of knowledge, integrative communication, and reflection and self-assessment. Whenever you demonstrate one of the criteria listed above in the Integrative Scholarship Rubric download , such as “Connections to Experience,” please identify it by using bold font in your paper.
Your paper will be evaluated according to the Integrative Scholarship Rubric. It will need to be at least 4 pages, 1,000 words, formatted using MLA style download .
- Navigating PFAS Contamination in Illinois Research
- The Power of Motivation Theories in the Workplace Essay
- Advancing APRN Practice in California Essay
- Addressing Co-Occurring Disorders and Developing a Gender-Specific Program for Women Essay
- Mastering Effective Communication: Applying Active Listening in the Digital Age Essay
- My Journey to the University of Florida Essay
- Systems Thinking Approach to Addressing the Tragedy of the Commons in Fisheries Management Research
- The Universe’s Secrets: The James Webb Space Telescope Research
- Celebrating Cultural Diversity: An Exploration of Traditional African Dance in NYC Essay
- Enhancing Kindergarten Science Education Outline