In this research paper, you will use integrative scholarship to analyze the representation of Persian-Americans in Firoozeh Dumas’ Funny in Farsi and Adree Dubus III’s House of Sand and Fog. The Integrative Scholarship SLO for this assignment is below:
3. Students will practice Integrative learning which is an understanding and a disposition that a student builds across the curriculum and co-curriculum, from making simple connections among ideas and experiences to synthesizing and transferring learning to new, complex situations within and beyond the campus. (GE 6 Integrative Scholarship – Unlinked Course) download Preview the document
Funny in Farsi and House of Sand and Fog are contemporary accounts of how Persian-Americans, specifically Iranian-Americans, migrated to the United States during a period of political upheaval and came to settle in California. While Dumas’ novel is a humorous account of how her extended family adapts to life in Southern California, Dubus’ novel is a tragic account of how an ex-Iranian military official eventually loses everything of value to him, including his house and his family.
In this research paper, you will need to demonstrate the following skills which appear on the Integrative Scholarship Rubric download for this assignment:
Connections to Experience
Connections to Discipline
Reflection and Self-Assessment
You need to do outside research for this paper, using the MSMU Library Databases, to understand the historical context of Iran and the United States at the end of the 20th century. This includes the United States’ involvement with Iran, the Iranian Hostage Crisis, and the role of immigration in the United States– both as it pertains to Iranians and how it affects the Americans in the novel. Major integrative themes, among others, include classism, racism, and sexism.
At least three credible articles from our Library Databases will need to be listed in your Works Cited Page. You should use them to help you develop your analysis, integrating connections to experience and the discipline, the transfer of knowledge, integrative communication, and reflection and self-assessment. Whenever you demonstrate one of the criteria listed above in the Integrative Scholarship Rubric download , such as “Connections to Experience,” please identify it by using bold font in your paper.
Your paper will be evaluated according to the Integrative Scholarship Rubric. It will need to be at least 4 pages, 1,000 words, formatted using MLA style download .
- Identify and define relevant concepts clearly for the viewers. (Define capital and your groups specific variety, if it has one.)
- What is the difference between a cross-sectional study and a longitudinal study? What advantages and disadvantages does each method have?
- What are the implications for both employees/subcontractors and the HR function?
- Discuss the key events that have contributed to the evolution of operations management. Please be sure to include specific events, time (year) and who was involved (the individual’s name or company). Please provide at least three (3) factors and the events.
- Research and describe a patient story that was caused by that sentinel event topic. For example, if the sentinel event alert is about Fires in the Operating rooms, then you must research and find a story about a patient impacted by a fire in the OR.
- * Why is the problem important in the area of corporate crime or regulation of corporate crime?
- Discussion Thread: Price
- Literature Review : Identity Development in 8th graders
- Select a publicly-traded company that is traded on U.S. exchange. Locate the annual report for at least the last three fiscal years.
- summarize the key points of each chapter, and show how those points are related to each other. In the final paragraph, please explain your own thoughts and interpretations of the material.