Week 4 Focus: Submitting First or Second Literary Analysis Essay
About the Literary Analysis Essays:Students will write two essays (4-6 pages each, in addition to the cover page) analyzing your choice of two novels read in class. Included in the essays should be reference to literary elements and inter-textual connections. An effective paper is written clearly, argued thoroughly and logically, and supported with concrete instances drawn from the work in question. Your introduction should clearly state your thesis (your argument). Your conclusion should provide closure and final insight about the argument you are making. Please use APA manuscript format for your essay, noting the margins (1 on all sides), the font and font size (Times New Roman, 12 point), the spacing (double), and the page numbers. These papers will be submitted to Turnitin.com to check for plagiarism.
After reading the novel, you will conduct a literary analysis of the reading and develop an essay outlining your interpretation of the work. The ultimate end of literary analysis is to acquire a deeper understanding and a fuller appreciation of the literature, and to evaluate how successful the author is in achieving his or her message.
What is a literary analysis essay?
It is an essay based on your interpretation of a literary work. It is not just a summary of the work, but a critical assessment of the literature. The purpose of a literary analysis essay is to analyze and interpret a literary work. A literary analysis analyzes how concepts and forms in literary works relate to larger aesthetic, political, social, economic, or religious contexts.
How is literary analysis an argument?
When writing a literary analysis, you will focus on specific attribute(s) of the text(s). When discussing these attributes, you will want to make sure that you are making a specific, arguable point (thesis) about these attributes. You will defend this point with reasons and evidence drawn from the text. Your thesis should be arguable and have definite pieces of evidence that you have drawn from the text to support your argument. This support in the essay will include direct quotations, summaries of scenes that help toargue your point, paraphrases of the text, other critics opinions, historical and social context, references to literary terms and how it supports your argument. The key here is that everything you include in your analysis paper points the reader back to your arguable thesis. Here are some examples:
In The Giver, Lois Lowry invents a fantasy setting to make a ____________ statement about the problem of __________ in our own society.
Mildred Taylors Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry contains many subtle symbols that are worthy of analysis, particularly _________ and ____________.
Esperanza Rising is such a valuable book to use in the __________ classroom because the heroine demonstrates the virtues of __________, ______________, and _____________.
Analyzing the literary work
Before writing the essay, you must first analyze the literary work. For instance, to analyze a novel, you would use your knowledge of the elements of fiction (literary elements) and literary techniques to understand how the writer crafted the story. Here are some questions to ask:
What is the significance of the title?
Who is the protagonist? How does the protagonist change as the story progresses?
What is the main conflict?
How does the climax occur?
Who is telling the story? Is it told in first-person? Second-person? Or third-person?
What sorts of literary techniques does the writer use to create an interesting story? Metaphors? Similes? Personification? Imagery? Symbolism?
Assignment is apa format
- Which strategy should business rely on more? Differentiation or Cost Leadership? Why? Use an example of a local business (can be more than one) to differentiate the two theories and explain weigh up the better option.
- Business Law Analysis pt 1
- 1. In which way did Bill Clinton create a budget surplus in the Federal budget? 2. If you were to remember Clinton’s Presidency, would you define it by scandals or economic stability? 3. What were the reasons George W Bush got America into the Iraq
- Choose one provision from the ANA Code of Ethics. How is ethical behavior an integral part of being a nurse leader? How does one communicate the characteristics of a role model with this provision? Do ethics influence the leadership style of the nurse leader?
- Discussion Response Supporting a Thesis Statement
- Nursing Dilemma
- Discuss three bases of individual power from the article (reward, legitimate, etc.) which you find in your workplace or other areas of your life.
- Consider how it makes your field more reliable, better analyses, detecting weaknesses and emergencies. You may give as many examples of math as you would like.
- Research paper on why there should be stricter gun control laws in the United States.
- APPLICATION ESSAY UNDER 200 WORDS