Instructions: Please respond to all 11 questions.
Contracts I: Discuss a recent contract you have entered into. Who it was with and what was it for (employment, lease, etc.)? Was the contract negotiated? What are two ways that a party can reject an offer?
Contracts II: What are two exceptions to the consideration requirement? What is the legal effect of a “force majeure” clause?
Contracts III: A beautiful old mansion is for sale and is rumored to be haunted. The buyer is terrified of ghosts but does not know that the mansion is haunted. If the seller says nothing, and the buyer purchases the house and finds out later that paranormal activity is occurring, can the buyer cancel the deal using the fraud defense? Why or why not?
Contracts IV: Discuss the difference between impossibility, impracticability and frustration of purpose.
Remedies: What is the difference between a legal remedy and an equitable remedy? Give two examples of legal remedies and two examples of equitable remedies.
Intellectual Property: Give an example of a Work that is protected by (a) patent; (b) trademark; and (c) Copyright.
Business Organizations: Using the California Secretary of State’s Business Entity Search Tool (https://bizfileonline.sos.ca.gov/search/business), Links to an external site.look up any Corporation or Limited Liability Company (LLC) and discuss the following: (a) the name of the entity; (b) the date the entity was formed; (c) the entity’s agent for service of process; and (d) whether the entity is active, suspended, or terminated.
Real Property/Real Estate: What is one emerging trend in California real estate, and what will be the biggest issue facing the real estate market in Santa Barbara over the next five years?
Business Ethics: Pick one of the businesses from the Business Ethics lecture PowerPoint (or choose your own) and discuss the following: (a) what did the corporation/person do that was unethical? (b) why was it unethical? (c) was the corporation’s/person’s action also illegal? (d) what happened to the corporation/person following the incident? (e) what can businesses learn from the incident?
TBD Lecture Ideas: If you could pick one topic related to law that we did not cover in this course this semester, what lecture would you add to the curriculum?
- Beauty comes in all forms. It is a social idea, a point of view. Research ” beauty” in different time periods and/ or different cultures and analyze why these constructs were or are considered beautiful, decipher reasons. Identify the time period with historical or cultural context.
- After you have watched the videos, choose one of the three companies. In a double-spaced MS Word document (400-600 words), explain how the company you chose strategizes to increase sales by leveraging each link in the Service-Profit Chain. What sales and sevice model(s) do they utlize? Use what you have learned in your course materials, the videos, and any additional research you conduct. Remember to cite your resources using in-text citations and provide a reference list.
- The elements of Use Case diagram include actors, use cases, subject boundaries, and a set of relationships among actors which may include extends and generalization.
- Inasmuch as the US GPS system is daily linked to private and public enterprises, should it be specifically designated as part of our country’s infrastructure? Why or why not? (Provide your reasoning). If you believe that it should, how should it be controlled? (provide your reasoning)
- Review the tsunami basics video included in the previous module to understand the signs of an approaching tsunami.
- How do sexual and gender biases impact the delivery of social services (include health care) to your clients? Based on what you read in the units resources and your experience to date, what do you believe is a successful strategy for dealing with such biases?
- Control of Global Business
- Think about what you have read in the units resources. Identify 1 common theme about social work practice from an international perspective that is important to you as a social worker.
- Determine topic and search for resources – do not finalize that topic until you’ve found at least four strong, academic, sources. Two resources to consider as a place to get started are:
- To what degree are the organization’s strategic and operational decisions affected by conflict and politics?