Caldecott Book Essay
After you’ve gotten my approval for your book choice, study carefully the “Terms and Conditions” (Criteria) for winning the Caldecott Medal here: http://bit.ly/1yb8KF0 (Links to an external site.).
Write an essay to discuss a Caldecott winning picture book mainly in terms of its artistic elements. You don’t need to be an expert on art to discuss it!
Your essay must include the following:
An introduction in which you include
the full title of the book (in italics),
the full name(s) of the author and illustrator if they are different
the year the book won the Caldecott Medal
a brief summary of the book’s story, including the genre it fits into
a brief biography of the illustrator, including artistic training, if any
In the body of the essay, a discussion of the artistic elements of the book. Use the document attached in Module 6 called “Art of Children’s Literature to figure out how to describe the artistic elements.
The link below is a nice example of the type of essay I’m looking for:
https://gabidunn.wordpress.com/2012/08/11/visual-elements-in-childrens-literature/ (Links to an external site.)
You should try to include photos of a few of the book’s pictures IF YOU KNOW HOW. It’s not required, but it is very helpful (I don’t know all the books chosen, so I’ll need a reference to see what you’re discussing. Amazon often has a few pages available for viewing, or you can use your smartphone to take a photo of the 2-3 pages you want to refer to, in paste them into your document.
A conclusion in which you discuss how the illustrations reflect the story. To use a silly example, a frightening book probably won’t be illustrated with hearts and flowers, but how has the artist built the right mood for the story?
A Works Cited page in MLA format that includes:
the book itself
the pdf document “Art of Children’s Literature”
any other outside work you refer to.
Note: your introduction may be more than a paragraph long, and the body of the essay may be more than three paragraphs. Don’t get trapped by the five-paragraph essay structucixre (and it is a trap!).
- Discuss about an issue concerning a current social issue or modern technology and write an essay in which you take a position on that issue.
- Identify the three essential elements to management, maintaining a balance between the current culture, and improving relationships to minimize resistance to change.
- Explain how the Act of God doctrine, can be used to eliminate liability in contracts for failure to perform.
- What experiences have you had working with children with psychological difficulties?
- Identify measures to assist the individual to achieve the tasks of his/her stage of development.
- Discuss and analyse the Trifler letters to the serialized articles on natural philosophy and history.
- Do you agree with the concept that individuals self-medicate in relation to stress, coping, and substance-related and addictive disorders?
- Discuss nation-states in the world today, and different types of political institutions are spread among them.
- Summarize, analyze, and discuss some of the key aspects of that Compliance Program Manual, and how some of those key aspects relate to promoting product safety and efficacy.
- Explain how to reduce the use of excessive police force that especially targets communities of color in the United States.