Apply principles of database design to a nursing practice scenario.
Recommend lists of column labels used to present data in table form when creating a database design.
Analyze benefits of converting paper records to electronic records.
Required Readings (click to expand/reduce)
3 sources required: Use 2 below and need one additional
Harrington, J. (2016). Relational database design and implementation (4th ed.). Cambridge, MA: Morgan Kaufmann.
Chapter 3, Why Good Design Matters (pp. 4754)
Chapter 4, Entities and Relationships (pp. 5588)
Patrician, P. A., Loan, L., McCarthy, M., Brosch, L. R., & Davey, K. S. (2010). Towards evidencebased management: Creating an informative database of nursingsensitive indicators. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 42(4), 358366.
Discussion: Envisioning a Database Design
As you report to work each day at your healthcare organization, you probably put little thought into the design of the facility. But you do expect the front doors to open and the elevator to work properly. So, while you may not routinely focus on floorplans, dimensions, or other blueprint items, you do assign a great deal of value to functionality. Consider how functionality would suffer if your facility were not designed properly.
Without effective design, you may not have access to the resources that you need to deliver care.
Such is also the case with database design. You may seldom focus on the organization of data and design of the databases that you use. But if the design is incomplete or inappropriate, functionality and usefulness of the data will be at high risk. Worse yet, patient safety could be at high risk.
For this Discussion, you reflect on a selected scenario and consider the database design that you would employ in that scenario.
Select one of the scenarios from those that your Instructor has posted.
Review the Learning Resources.
You are working in risk management and need to track medication administration errors and adverse events for patients over a 6-month period. You are receiving information from the inpatient areas, outpatient clinics, and home health.
Consider a database design that you might use to collect and/or convert the data to an electronic format.
Review the lists and tables throughout the assigned readings and model them for listing your tables.
Post a list of the tables including the fields (rows) that you would include in each table to convert the data from the scenario you selected into a database. Be specific. Explain the rationale for your decision and support your decision with citations from this weeks Learning Resources. Describe the benefits of converting the data from paper to electronic form and explain why. Be specific and provide examples.
- What are the common differences between Academic Research and Applied Research?
- Identify a healthcare scenario focused on the need for culturally safe practice.
- Write a research paper on the changes in academic world after the pandemic.
- What is the difference between a specification limit and a control limit?
- Describe how a race condition is possible and what might be done to prevent the race condition from occurring.
- Discuss a mental health condition (i.e. major depressive disorder, schizophrenia, alcohol use disorder..PICK ONE.etc.) and its burden as a noncommunicable disease in terms of short-term/chronic disability and morbidity.
- Describe various theories / conceptual frameworks concerning sexual orientation discussed in your course book.
- Discuss why it is so important to understand physical development and brain functioning when working as an adolescent mental health therapist?
- Write a book report on The Big Thirst by Charles Fisherman.
- Write a paper, Times New Roman 12 point font, double spaced on why it is important to have an understanding of pediatric pharmacotherapeutics and how pediatric practice differs from adult practice.