View the instructions and example Data Collection Activity.docx
* Copy your Data Collection Activity directly into word.
* Write the title of your study in the subject line of your post.
Directions for the Data Collection Activity
Complete the activity by cutting and pasting the bolded components 1-8 below directly on word.
Decide on a name for your study and write it in the subject line of your post.
I have described what I expect for each component (see below) and included an example (in green,) do not use my example.
When you include your raw data, please do so horizontally separated by commas as I have done, to avoid excessive scrolling.
Be creative in how you collect data. You dont have to necessarily get it from people, maybe you will go to grocery stores and collect nutritional data, or you might be able to collect it online. have fun!
Required Activity Components
1. Description of the study: What is the purpose of your study, what are you trying to find out? Think it through and be specific. For example: My study is to try to find out the average amount of money that MXC students spend on text books including e-texts and class software by surveying 25 random MXC students.
2. Variable of interest: What is the measurement you are taking, in other words, what does each data piece represent? In the example above the variable of interest is: the amount of money each student spent on texts including e-texts and class software.
3. Population: What is the overall group you are studying? In the above example, it would be: the pertinent information from all MXC students. Keep in mind that you will need to keep your population rather narrow, its probably not realistic to do a study about people in the US because you would have to make sure to get information from all regions of the country.
4. Sample: What subgroup of the sample did you get the information from? In the above example, it would be- the pertinent information received from 25 random MXC students.
5. Data collection method: Explain how you collected your data and specify the method and how your data collection fir that method. For example, perhaps for the above example: I asked 5 instructors if they would administer the survey question to 5 random students in their class. This is an example of stratified sampling, each class is a strata and there was a random sample taken from each strata.
6. Measures I took to ensure a representative sample: In the above example, I might say: To ensure a representative sample I made sure to include both daytime and evening classes and various classes across the spectrum such as general education courses and health science courses.
7. Raw data: For the above example, it might look like this: Data is rounded to the nearest dollar:230, 543, 109, 476, 219, 72, 789, 111, 360, 967, 445, 301, 836, 281, 547, 682, 725, 370, 177, 265, 484, 638, 40, 279, 74
- Navigating PFAS Contamination in Illinois Research
- The Power of Motivation Theories in the Workplace Essay
- Advancing APRN Practice in California Essay
- Addressing Co-Occurring Disorders and Developing a Gender-Specific Program for Women Essay
- Mastering Effective Communication: Applying Active Listening in the Digital Age Essay
- My Journey to the University of Florida Essay
- Systems Thinking Approach to Addressing the Tragedy of the Commons in Fisheries Management Research
- The Universe’s Secrets: The James Webb Space Telescope Research
- Celebrating Cultural Diversity: An Exploration of Traditional African Dance in NYC Essay
- Enhancing Kindergarten Science Education Outline