Choose one of the following prompts. Be sure to support your research with at least 3 cited sources (this could be our textbook, any films you’ve watched in class and/or any you watch for the paper, as well as any other research you might conduct online or in a library).
Your audience is, and should always be, intelligent, interested readers who are not necessarily in this class and may or may not have read the texts or seen the films you cite. The tone should be that of a scholarly paper. While formatting (including spelling and grammar) does count on this paper, I understand that not everyone has ample experience with MLA. Even so, spend some time ensuring that your paper’s format, citing method, Works Cited page, and so on follow the basics.
THE PROMPTS (choose only one of the following):
1. Research and discuss an example of an actor’s personal history influencing their acting of a role. Youll have to dig around and find interviews, as well as conduct research on the actors background. Example: Ice Cube in Boyz n the Hood
2. Watch two films about the same subject/theme OR two film versions of the same source material (like a novel), made by two different directors (perhaps even from two completely different perspectives or time periods). Analyze how each film approaches the subject matter and compare/contrast the impact of both films. Be sure to consider the time period(s) during which each film was created and how the climate of that era may have influenced the handling of the subject matter. Example: Little Women
3. Using one or two specific films as support, discuss how film has served to break down barriers in society. Example: How Milk and Brokeback Mountain humanize gay characters for mass audiences
4. Compare and contrast two major genres in the history of film. Be sure to include important historical/social information that influenced the creation or changing direction of the genres. The usual suspects will help here: who, what, where, when, and why? Examples: Sci-Fi vs. Westerns, or Rom-Coms vs. Buddy Films.
5. Watch two films that contain roles for under-represented actors (ex: African-Americans, transgender, deaf, etc.). Analyze each film for the themes and messages about the role of the under-represented group in modern society. Your essay should, at some level, compare-contrast the roles of the chosen actors in both films (look for what is similar and what is different). Example: Marlee Matlin in Coda and Zack Gottsagen in The Peanut Butter Falcon.
- Discuss about an issue concerning a current social issue or modern technology and write an essay in which you take a position on that issue.
- Identify the three essential elements to management, maintaining a balance between the current culture, and improving relationships to minimize resistance to change.
- Explain how the Act of God doctrine, can be used to eliminate liability in contracts for failure to perform.
- What experiences have you had working with children with psychological difficulties?
- Identify measures to assist the individual to achieve the tasks of his/her stage of development.
- Discuss and analyse the Trifler letters to the serialized articles on natural philosophy and history.
- Do you agree with the concept that individuals self-medicate in relation to stress, coping, and substance-related and addictive disorders?
- Discuss nation-states in the world today, and different types of political institutions are spread among them.
- Summarize, analyze, and discuss some of the key aspects of that Compliance Program Manual, and how some of those key aspects relate to promoting product safety and efficacy.
- Explain how to reduce the use of excessive police force that especially targets communities of color in the United States.